Sunday, June 6, 2010

Homesick :(

For the first time in life I have experienced home sickness. Despite going out with friends and trying to keep busy this past weekend, I really got home sick. I felt like the kid at camp who doesn't care what fun is being had all around her, all she wants to do is return to the comfort and normality of home. It's not that I don't love and appreciate New Orleans for the wonderfully unique city it is, but it's almost too unique. I feel shell shocked. I knew it'd be an adjustment coming down to the Deep South, but I truly felt that the urbanness of NOLA would mitigate the humdrum pace that is inherent to the South - WRONG.

Everyone's outlook on life is the antithesis of that experienced in the North. People don't see a point in rushing to do anything. And while I can appreciate their appreciation for enjoying life and people, and relaxing and taking it easy, they OD on it down here - I guess it's called The Big Easy for a reason :/ But seriously, punctuality is probably last on everyone's list down here, even my financial aid department who doesn't see a problem in not doing their job in a timely fashion so students can do things like pay rent, buy books and supplies, eat - you know, the basics. Ugh. It is frustrating! And I just look like a jerk everywhere I go because not only do I not go slow, I actively am still ticking on a Northern clock of urgency, and I really am lacking the patience necessary to handle those that don't seem in a rush to do anything. That's never been a part of who I am. Sure, I am of the opinion that we shouldn't take life too seriously, unless the situation absolutely mandates it, however I've also approached most things from the standpoint that I'll get what I need to get done first and then do what I want to do later. Makes complete logical sense to me. To these people, that notion is foreign. They do what they want and hope that eventually what needs to get worked out is somehow magically completed without complication...riiiight. Honestly, I don't think this constant heat, humidity (which is swiftly getting worse!), and enormous bugs aren't helping.

I got a little down about it all and actually started fighting logic and contemplated that maybe I made a BIG mistake choosing to spend the next four years of my life in New Orleans. Silly, I know...this is the school God has for me and I absolutely love the med school and it's opportunities, but still, logic often fails in the face of depression. And yes, I would say I've been depressed this weekend, despite hitting up some fun spots in this city (see below). I ever popped in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and nearly teared when I started seeing all the Jersey and New York spots in the movie. I started getting nostalgic about this past year's adventures in Philly, Jersey, and New York and really started to miss all my loved ones I left behind. Then, I started to feel pathetic about being so down, but then I was speaking to a friend who's down here that feels the same way having moved from DC. Adjusting your mentality and entire perspective on life and your functioning is truly an exacerbating task, especially when you feel you're alone. I suppose the grass really is always greener on the other side, as I recall complaining about how I was ready to get up and leave the cold, congested, fast-paced North for a while - be careful what you wish for.

Mom came through in the clutch though. She reminded me of a few things. Yes, it'll be a big change, but I have to take into consideration that it is summer. There are a lot of students in the city who are away for vacation and this is part of the price I have to pay for trying to get a jump start on my dual degree. She also reminded me that as I get more acclimate to the city and become more involved, I'll start to form my own network down here. While I am blessed to have secured summer housing so easily and at such an affordable price, she reminded me that it's not like I chose to live with these roommates (good people, but it's not like we hang out), therefore it's not like I'm surrounded by my good friends, but really just strangers, which can be quite an adjustment when you go from spending everyday surrounded by friends and family. I love how my mom can so simply put things into perspective for me. We express our love for one another so much better when we're not living together. It's amazing!

So, I plan to stay busy with classes, exploring the city, and I should be starting research in a week or so. Between those activities and getting to know my classmates better I think I should have this bought of home sickness out of my system by July :) I live a few blocks down from Audubon Park, which is so breath-takingly beautiful it's hard to feel down while there. I try to go there as much as my schedule and the weather permits (it rains randomly daily). Wikipedia just informed me that the land used to be a plantation :/ Whatever, it's still gorgeous! I was sitting by a pond Saturday, watching everything from a water snake (maybe) to baby ducks to a cranes to a family of large turtles all enjoying nature. It truly made me feel carefree.

These are world famous Sno-Balls from Plum Street Snoball. When I got down here, everyone kept asking me if I'd had a New Orleans sno-ball yet, and I would just stare at them in niavete. After doing a little research, I found that this place and another place (Hansen's, which is right by me and next on my list) are easily the top two in the city. The way sno-balls were described to me were the ultimate Italian icey. False. The sno-ball I had was easily the most amazing, tantilizing frozen treat to touch my tongue in life. You can always rely on wiki for the low-down. Basically, it's shaved ice of a smoother consistency than slushies or iceys, with a ridiculous but perfect amount of flavoring poured into holes they dig into the ice. It really is perfect because it never gets to the point where you have unflavored ice left in your container (and I do mean container...depending on what size you order, you might be eating/drinking out of a Chinese food take-out box!)

This weekend I also hit up Hotel Monteleone's Carousel Piano Bar & Lounge. Wow. My favorite place in the city thus far. Be not deceived, there really is no truly classy place in the NO. lol. As posh as the hotel's website looks, as well it's featured bar & lounge, the drunkards stumble in there in all types of get ups. Why? For it's famous rotating Carousel Bar. This thing is amazing. Not going to lie, it was a little complicated trying to hop on (or more than you'd think), but once on and adjusted to parts of the room moving and not others, it's great. A delightful musician hammers away on the ivories a yards back in the lounge area and it's easy to get caught up in the ambience and never want to leave. While you're in there, it's so hard to believe that the notoriously crazy Bourbon St is literally one block away...that is until a drunk middle aged couple comes in screaming with clothes falling off :/ Still, it manages to retain it's classiness (I think the jazzy lounge piano helps in this effort. Apparently, it's also a literary landmark - I see why!

The remainder of the night was spent strolling down Bourbon for the first time. Oh the sights mine eyes did see! I'll just leave it at that!

No comments: