Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Worst Case Scenario

Not to harp on the Oil Spill, but I am living down in New Orleans as a public health student. I must say, it's a real honor and a privilege to be able to be studying in such a place as this in such a unique time in history, let alone to add to the mix that I'm a public health and medical student. It really is a hands-on, learning experience where everything we're learning in-class has real life applications just minutes away (and a few months into the future).

I completely stole this from a classmate's fb page I was stalking - lol. Sorry! But, I give credit where credit's due. Here's the link to the blog I "borrowed" it from.


o_O I'm a little terrified, not going to lie. Where is the solution? See, this is what we get for investing ridiculous sums of money into things like space exploration when there a trillions of things within our own planet we know limited information about. Ok, that might be a stretch, but still, I maintain that it's a valid point. Think about the ocean. Think of how vast it really is and how deep the deepest abyss really goes. Now think of how little we actually know about 70% of our terrestrial globe...yes, 70%! I don't know about you, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that perhaps if we knew more about what lies beneath the surface we could have developed better methods to tap its resources. That, and as I slowly "Go Green," I am opposed to our reliance on oil. It will eventually dry up and we have developed alternative methods that work fine, but the thing is, like any reliance, our oil addiction has made us lazy...too lazy to select alternatives that are not inherently as "easy" as oil usage has become to the modern world.

This is supposed to be a very bad hurricane system. It started on June 1st and runs all the way to November 30th. (aside: I really didn't know hurricane season was that long!). This is a good site to sum up the hurricane predictions for the year, but suffice it to say that roughly 27 or so hurricanes are expected to hit. As someone in a city that is still recovering from a hurricane from 5 years ago, I am afraid. I have no idea what to expect for any hurricane, let alone one that would literally rain oil on us...

No comments: