Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Becoming the Healthiest Doc I Can Be...

I start working out regularly this fall. I joined a local gym, hired a personal trainer I meet with twice a month, all that. Why? Because I want to be the healthiest person I can be and a healthy doctor. Personally, it irks me when I see unhealthy doctors - whether they're obese or smokers or just avid consumers of junk food, it really bothers me and makes no sense. I see part of the role of the doctor as being a role model for their patients. Lead by example - that's always my motto.

However, this quest to get fit has been a long and frustrating battle. It took forever and a day to see the scale move (granted, I was doing cardio and intense weight training...my trainer looks like Mr. Clean), but now that it's started, it's dropping consistently pretty nicely. I think keys things that have helped have been conscientiously increasing my water consumption (and what clear skin I have!) as well as sleep. While overweight, I've never really been a bad eater (well, Southern food in college aside), but I've learned to watch my portions and make sure to eat no later than 4 hours before bed. The hardest part is really when I'm out with friends (especially those late night meals...smh). I'm so happy the warmer weather has arrived. This week I've started moving my gym workouts to the morning and doing some other physical activity in the evening...trying to keep that metabolism up! Right now, I'm feeling the long, brisk walk at dusk, but I would love to join some type of local group sport, like tennis or basketball. Being outdoors as much as possible has somehow become one of my new favorite things (in addition to endorphins). Maybe it's the vitamin D I'm getting or all the beautiful colors emerging...I'm not sure.

Another issue that has been an obstacle in this journey to get fit is my PCOS. It's a condition I suffer that has the lovely side effect of increasing fat storage and resisting weight loss. Suffice it to say I have to work twice as hard to get the same results as the average person. But, I'm alright with that. I know what I must do, and am aware it's just going to take longer to do it. What is nice to see, is that without medication, I have started to naturally reverse the disorder. I had tried the medication before (not even currently an option, seeing as I lack insurance) and while I can drop weight much quicker on it, 1) the side effects are rough to adjust to, and 2) the changes are not permanent. At least this way, the changes I'm making will last forever. Plus, I'm not a fan of medicating when not absolutely necessary. Americans are completely overmedicated.

Biggest problem I face with working out - The Hair!!! Black women know this struggle all too well. On top of things, I do not have a relaxer. And while I'm alright with the texture and state of my natural head of hair, I have a problem with putting so much time and energy into getting it nice a prim for church only to have it back to drab by Monday evening. Well, if I do move to New Orleans, we all know I'll be investing in some braids. I have no idea how else to deal with that heat and humidity, and Lord knows I refuse to slap any chemicals into my hair to make it permanently straight.


No comments: