Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Best Thing I've EVER Done!!!

As someone who's lost a parent at a young age, it didn't take much, if anything, to convince me of the worthwhileness of Comfort Zone Camp. As soon as I heard it's mission, I couldn't help but become involved as quickly as possible. However, as the days approached, I became more apprehensive than imaginable. Questions started popping into my head as to whether I'd be a good Big Buddy to the kids and whether the camp would live up to it's reputation. I mean, it had been hyped up to this phenomenal weekend camp that had the power to transform the lives of both campers and volunteers in roughly a 48 hour period. How could anything possibly live up to that? As a child, I was continuously warned to "keep my highs low, and my lows high," so while I knew the camp was very positive and that my experience would be good, I was trying not to expect some nearly supernatural experience this past weekend. However, that is exactly what I received...

I was discussing my experience on the phone with a dear friend Sunday night (actually, it's the friend that put me on to the camp). We both agree, no matter how detailed it is described, it is one of those "you gotta see it to believe it" things. The experience there is considered "life within the camp bubble," and a bubble it truly is. By the end of camp, which started roughly at 2:30pm Friday and ended at 4:00pm Sunday, I could have sworn I was there a good week. They really cram so much into every minute of the weekend, and you turbo-bond like never before. I left camp feeling like I knew some of these people for years and we were now best friends.

Beyond the miraculous slowed down and elongated time phenomenon experienced there, I really met some people (both young and old) I would consider superhuman. I'd rank these kids among some of the strongest humans I have ever met. If I had gone through what some of them went through, I'm not too sure I would have made it out - let alone as strong and determined as they were. The unimaginable stories of these children's lives - what they lived through before, during, and after their losses - made me cry all weekend...as did their stories of resilience and firmness of purpose.

If you have ever caught yourself wondering where all the good people in the world are hiding, the answer is here. So many people from all walks of life, united for the common cause of simply being a listening ear and an untiring encouragement to these children learning to navigate the grieving process. Selfless individuals continually smiling and giving of themselves and their difficult stories they cry to to be inspirations and sources of support for these kids.

There was a shirt being sold at camp that said on the front "CZC Supporter" and on the back it read "I helped a child realize they are not alone." You have no idea how much I wanted to buy the shirt (I will one day...didn't bring money)! It's the truth though. A old theme of camp was that when you lost someone close to you, it felt as if a puzzle piece to your heart was missing. And not only was it missing and you could feel that emptiness, but that lacking piece was visible and evident to those around you, thus making you feel different. And we all know, most kids don't want to be different, most kids (especially teens) want to be accepted, not to feel alone. However, the transformations I witnessed this weekend were incredible. I watched children arrive, some willingly and other forced to come, untrusting of a world that had snatched a loved one from them unexpectedly, uneasy to speak, some unsmiling, and I was a little overwhelmed for a moment. That's when I downed the free adult-sized coffee, turned on the smile, channeled my inner teenage camper and ran to meet my Little. By the end of the week, everyone was smiling and laughing, kids that had stopped performing activities since their loved ones died were performing before the entire camp at the closing memorial service, and children who couldn't even bare to mention the names of their lost ones ending camp by verbally paying homage to them. These numerous powerful transformations almost brought me to my knees.

To know that the amount of love and positive energy, and the opportunity to vent in a safe space, all contained in a 48 hours period, is enough to tangibly change the lives of ~65 kids...I mean, talk about having an impact on the world. I worked with teenagers, and you could see some of them coming into camp with destructive habits and behaviors forming, and leaving a changed individual, hopefully steered back on-course, able to overcome obstacles that will inevitably present themselves on their road to reaching their full potential.

I come away feeling blessed to have had this opportunity and to experience such a powerful force. I feel honored to have connected so deeply with those in my HC, who trusted me enough to share their stories with me. And I hope that the small bit of my story that I shared was of benefit to someone else. I've never felt this happy and hopeful before :)

.:There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you:. ...Maya Angelou...


No comments: